Areas of Practice
- Commercial and civil litigation
- Liquidations and receiverships
- Debt recovery and civil enforcement
- Personal Property Securities Act claims
- Insurance litigation and advice
- Property and lease disputes
- Personal insolvency
- Litigation management
- New Zealand Bar Association
David has been in practice as a litigation lawyer in New Zealand since 2008. David joined Port Nicholson Chambers in 2011 after spending 3 years in the litigation and insurance team of a leading Australasian law firm.
David has acted as both sole counsel and assisted as junior counsel in a wide range of litigation including; director and shareholder disputes, liquidator and receiver actions, contract cases, injunctive relief, debt recovery matters, incorporated society disputes, personal insolvency matters, property and commercial lease disputes, Sale of Goods Act claims.
David regularly acts on instructions from liquidators, receivers, large corporates, property development companies, SMEs, directors and shareholders and for private clients.
- Junior counsel assisting in a wide range of litigation acting for the liquidators of a large network of property development and construction companies in the South Island – Property Ventures Limited (in liquidation) and Ors - 2009 and ongoing
- Provided risk management and insolvency advice in relation to the acquisition of a national retail chain - 2012
- Successful injunctive relief claim between landlord and tenant – Trust Porirua v Jackson Holdings - 2013
- Successful defence against an action by an incorporated society — The Phoenix Astronomical Society v Hall - 2012
- Successful strike out of a cross claim by director in a proceeding brought by liquidators against directors — Croad v Rabson 2012
- Successful action to liquidate deadlocked company on just and equitable grounds — Hitchens v Double Zero Holdings Limited - 2010
- Successful action enforcing guarantee obligations — Farmers’ Mutual Finance Limited v Harris - 2010
- Successful action by liquidator freezing bank accounts and interim liquidator appointment — Walker v Xu - 2013
- Appeared as sole counsel in numerous summary judgment, bankruptcy, liquidation and injunction proceedings in both the High Court and the District Courts
- Junior counsel in the Court of Appeal